CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Pages

Tuesday, August 9, 2011

Fishes are Wishes

When Ems was about to turn four years old, we asked her what she wanted for her birthday.  She said, "Fish".  She wanted a big tank like her friend had, with lots of colorful fish.  We had fish before and I wasn't too excited about having to take care of a tank again.  I asked her why she wanted fish so badly, and she said, "because, fishes are wishes!"  Needless to say, we added a tank and some fish to our house.  These fish made the move with us, and we maintained the tank for many years, until we were down to just one fish.  Finally, we put the tank away.  The phrase "fishes are wishes"  is used in our house to acknowledge something really good.  We also use it for things we want to get or do, but can't have.  Like if we want a new car, but can't afford to get one, we say, "if fishes were wishes."  Crazy, I know.  But these things evolve in a family, and it has become one of our quirky sayings. We all enjoy the beach and sea life, and living in such a dry area, we were feeling a little sea creature deficient.

Last Sunday we made a wonderful trek out to Birch Aquarium.  Little Kitty Kat had never been to an aquarium before, and I thought it would be neat to take her and Jr. to see some sea life.  Jr. had been asking for days if we could go see the sea horses.  Not wanting to spend a small fortune on Sea World, we thought we would go and see what Birch looked like after all these years.  I had been reading online about their new additions, and lets be honest, the price was right.  Adult tickets are $14 a piece, kids 3-17 $9.50, and with two coupons to get a kid with adult admission, it turned into a cheap outing.  Ems went with us too, Kitty Kat was free, so we were all there but Lecibug, for only $28 dollars.

They have so many wonderful tanks there at Birch.  Jr. couldn't contain himself, and he ran from tank to tank in awe of the beauty contained within.


Kitty Kat was so excited to see the fish.  Big J was carrying her so that she could see over every one's heads, and so we wouldn't lose her in the dark in the crowd of people.  He said, "You have to hear this!"  I leaned in close and Kitty was repeating over and over again, "OOOOOOH........Fish! Fish!"  She loved them so much.  I tried to record her little voice saying it, but it was drowned out on the recording by the echoes of everyone else.  

Onward to the next room, and Jr began asking where the sea horses were.  He was on a mission to see sea horses and the whole outing wouldn't have been what he had hoped for if we couldn't find some.  I never put much thought into the fact that the logo for Birch is a sea horse.  I was just looking for an outing that wouldn't cost a small fortune.  So, we turn the corner, and not only are there sea horses, there's a whole room of sea horses.  All kinds, large, dwarf, you name it.  All the stars of the sea horse world were there, and in so many colors.  Jr. was ecstatic.  

See the tiny sea horse in the bottom of the tank?  Pretty cool, huh?  Jr. sure thought so.  There was also something that I have never seen, or maybe I have and was not paying enough attention.  Have you ever heard of a Sea Dragon????  I hadn't and I was in awe.  They are the most delicate, amazing sea creatures.  I tried to get a good picture, but I was using my cell phone.  Check it out:

Look right in the middle of the plants....

So, after the sea horse room, and the tide pools, Jr. thought it just couldn't get any better.  Until we went to the outside play area.  They had a wonderful set up about energy and motion.  One display was about the power of water to move things, and how you can increase or decrease this power by blocking or releasing water.  Water, boats, and other little boys to play with...what could be better?  (For Jr. that is..)



When I asked him later what his favorite thing was, he couldn't decide between the boats, and the sea horses. Kitty Kat continues to talk about the fish.  I think she would love to go see them again.


Em's was quiet most of the time.  She was a little tired and maybe wasn't up for the trip out that day.  I think she enjoyed seeing the fish.  I highly reccommend Birch Aquarium.  For the price, it was worth it.
A good time was had by all.

On the way home, my husband reminded me that we still have our large tank in the garage.  I think that the kids aren't the only one's who enjoy the fish.  I admit I'm a sucker for them as well.  After all, "Fishes are Wishes!"  

Many blessings to you all, and may all of your wishes come true. 

Birch Aquarium:

Coupon for Birch







No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave me your comments. I love to hear from you!