CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Pages

Friday, August 5, 2011

Breastfeeding is a Blessing


This post is in honor of World Breastfeeding Week, which is occurring  Aug 1-7.

I have had so many wonderful moments with my children and some of the best memories in my mind are those quiet moments with my infants tucked in the crook of my arm, snuggled in close, with their tiny little face attached to one of my breasts.  With the first child, I was so concerned with covering up my breasts, as if anyone saw them it would be akin to seeing me completely naked.  I didn't want to go out anywhere, because what if the baby needed to eat and there wasn't a place to get away from people?  What if I put a blanket over the baby, and it fell off, and GASP, people saw my breast?  What would they think?

Well, now it seems so silly.  What would people think?  They would think that I was breastfeeding a baby and the blanket fell off.  Duh.  But my worries and concerns really originated with my own attitudes that I carried about my breasts.  When I was a teen I just wished they would go away.  It seemed as if they were always getting attention that I didn't want.  I wished they were completely flat and unnoticeable. (And honestly, back then they were pretty flat and unnoticeable, but that was not how I saw it.)  When I found out I was pregnant years later, I wasn't sure if I was going to breastfeed.  After all, I didn't really like my breasts, and I was afraid that breastfeeding was just going to bring attention to them that I didn't want.  I watched with horror as my A's turned into C's and then into D's almost overnight.  And I didn't even have milk yet.  For someone who was already uncomfortable with her breasts, the new growth kind of freaked me out.  Thankfully, I discussed my fears and issues with a lactation consultant before Alicia was born.  She assured me that I might like breastfeeding, and that many women find they come to love and appreciate their breasts once they are able to use them for their intended purpose.  So, I gave it a go.  And all these years later, I am so glad I did.

Attitudes have changed incredibly since my first breastfeeding experiences 14 years ago.  At the time, it was even hard to find nursing bras.  My breasts were so large that I had to special order nursing bras from a company which assured me they would be shipped discreetly, as if I had something to be ashamed about.   It wasn't like I was ordering something illicit, I just wanted a bra to fit my newly milk filled boobs. 

Finding a bra wasn't my only problem back in those days.  It was also hard to find information.  Although the internet was up and running, it wasn't the same as it is today.  No, instant responses.  You might have waited a half hour for a page to load.  I had no one to turn to for information.  Neither I, nor Jeff was breastfed, so our moms couldn't help with advice or encouragement.  I was exhausted from giving birth, and I wasn't sure if a baby was supposed to nurse that often.  I knew I had a lot of milk coming out, it was after all, leaking everywhere.  But I continued to be told by well meaning people that "it's not quantity, it's quality".  In other words, if you made quality milk, your baby wouldn't want to feed so often.  It made me anxious, and nervous.  I had no faith that my breasts could provide for my baby.  Thankfully, when I was about to give up, my Aunt Sharon called that day to find out how we were doing.  An experienced breastfeeding mommy herself, she was able to ask me a few questions.  I will always remember her soft voice over the phone telling me, "You are doing just fine.  Don't stop.  It will get easier.  It's sounds like you are doing really well."  I don't think I ever told her what a difference her words made.  It was her encouragement which allowed Alicia to continue to be breastfed.  And sometimes encouragement is all a newly breastfeeding mother needs.

Now, fourteen years later, I have noursihed four children.  The littlest of which still continues to this day.  I have no problems whipping one out in public, and can do so calmly and causually without anyone knowing. I have made peace with my breasts a long time ago, and I am proud of my ability to nurture and feed my children.  And while I know that breastfeeding isn't for everyone, I feel blessed to have had the opportunity to feed all of my children.  Breastmilk is a blessing for sure. 

  • Human milk has been shown to kill cancer cells in a laboratory dish and has been used in oncology.
  • Mother’s milk has immune properties that can deliver a particular antibody in response to a new germ in the baby’s environment.
  • No two mothers produce identical milk.
  • Mother’s milk is uniquely suited to meet her baby’s nutritional needs.
  • Breastfeeding decreases the incidence of dental cavities and the need for orthodontics.
  • Up to 50% of the iron in human milk can be absorbed by the infant, as compared to 10% in cow’s milk, and 4% in iron-fortified formulas.
  • Adoptive moms, grandmothers, and yes, even men have been able to lactate for an infant.
  • Breastfeeding reduces the risk of ovarian and pre-menopausal breast cancer, heart disease, and osteoporosis. The more months a women breastfeeds over her lifetime, the greater the protection.
  • The amount of fat in a mother’s milk varies from feeding to feeding and from week to week. The fat content of the milk changes even during a feeding.
  • Mothers of premature infants produce milk that is higher in protein and other nutrients than milk produced by mothers of full-term infants.
  • Breast milk contains stem cells.  
Pretty amazing stuff huh?




"Milk is a side effect of love." 
Christina M. Smilie, MD

I also have to give credit where it is due to Heather Cushman Dowdee for the breastfeeding art.
Find her on facebook at http://www.facebook.com/mama.is.comic

B.Y.O.B!
(Bless your own B(.)(.)Bs)




4 comments:

  1. Breastfeeding also rules out the chance that you will find a worm in the water for the baby's bottle or beatle larve in the infant formula!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Breastfeeding is one of my favorite things about being a Mom, love those bonding moments! Love this post Michelle!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. There is nothing more wonderful that breastfeeding your baby - those were special moments. I remember that when I even looked at my child I could feel the milk rush into my boobs. Now I am a grandmother of 70 with 14 grandchildren. I am truly blessed

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you Michelle for sharing about breastfeeding. I think it is one of the most important ways for mother and baby to bond. I was a little scared at first at the prospect of on demand feeding - but it's turned out to be some of the most precious moments with my child. So nurturing. And I love how he loves it too!

    ReplyDelete

Leave me your comments. I love to hear from you!